Sunday, 1 September 2013

I Blame Neil

So it's Sunday and the cusp of a new school year. Normally, I'd be fretting and last-minute planning and changing my last minute plans and wondering what my new class will be like, how the year will pan-out. But this year I'm anxious for a different reason. This year I'm anxious because I'm NOT going back to school tomorrow!

Hurrah!

Cue Alice Cooper 


You see tomorrow I begin my new career as a full-time author.

 

Personally, I blame Neil Gaiman because in his New Year's blog of 2012 he said:

"Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.



Make your mistakes, next year and forever."
And it resonated with me. As you know not many writers write full time for a living and I'd been teaching, writing and doing lots of school visits in between. So I began making plans and wondering... "What if?"

A year passed. And Neil said:

"in the world to come, let us be brave – let us walk into the dark without fear, and step into the unknown with smiles on our faces, even if we're faking them."


So that's what I'm going to do... I'm walking into the dark without fear... erm... except I've brought a flashlight and a hot water bottle. Tomorrow is my first day at my new job.

I asked Mrs M what I should do tomorrow. She suggested two options:

1) Write. Ridiculous and simplistic, I know!

2)  Do what all people do on their first day in a new job - sit in the corner and read the Health and Safety Policy...

I think I'll probably do the first... wish me luck, book me for your school and tell me: What would YOU do?

No comments: