Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Bonehill Fragments




It's been a long time since I posted here. Apologies! I've been mad busy charging up and down the country with Bloomsbury, trying to finish the manuscript of my fourth book, interacting with my family and all manner of busy stuff.

Anyway. Did I mention the vampires in The Bonehill Curse? I didn't? Well, I am now. They don't dominate the book and they are vampires as I like them to be; ugly, vicious and hungry. I also like to think that the setting for them is unusual (I'll not spoil the book) and I'm quite pleased at the way they pop-up.

My first encounter with a vampire was as a small child catching a glimpse of a programme about them. It was an extract from the 1922 film Nosferatu. I don't know if it was the shadows, the sheer brute-ugliness of the vampire or the strange other-worldliness about the way he moved but I was frightened witless by it.

I went on to enjoy all the Hammer vampires, Christopher Lee's Dracula of course and I remember Count Yorga with fondness. I've watched other more modern vampire films between my fingers but Nosferatu lingers...


No comments: