Sunday, 1 April 2012

I Dream of Genies

I have a shameful confession to make... when I was a young, impressionable boy, I had a bit of a crush on the genie out of I Dream of Jeannie. Hey! Stop sniggering at the back there! I was only 10 or 11 maybe, and I never really liked the cartoon version! It was a simple tale of an astronaut who falls in love with a two thousand year old genie. What larks!


There were genies all over the place in my dim and distant youth. I seem to recall a children's TV series called Pardon My Genie, too. It was all about a lowly shop assistant who chances upon a genie. Again... what larks!


And then there was Shazzan! And The Arabian Knights! What larks again!



So my childhood was littered with generally benign but inept genies. It wasn't until much later and I read The Thousand and One Nights that I realised just how nasty genies could be. Or rather just how bad people's wishes could be! One final TV encounter a decade or more ago left me with the image of John Leguizamo's Lamp Genie:


Fewer larks! More adventure! And so, the genie in the Bonehill Curse turned out a little less benign and certainly not inept! He's a victim, to a degree and hell-bent on revenge!

I never watched any of the Wishmaster films because as you know, I'm a wuss when it comes to horror! And don't get me started on Disney's Aladdin which I sat through I don't know how many times with my darling children! I'll be talking about flying carpets next time!

No comments: