Sunday, 18 September 2011

Welcome Formby Books

I popped across the mighty River Mersey yesterday to see Tony Higginson, the bookselling force of nature behind a new venture called Formby Books. Tony is a legend in and around Merseyside. He gets authors into schools, children reading books and with such energy and enthusiasm. From time to time I read on Twitter or Facebook people bemoaning the fact that they find it hard to support their local bookshop. Most will have an online presence and Formby Books is no exception. Buy your books from Tony. Simple!

I was also lucky enough to bump into Joe Delaney of Spooks fame. I've met Joe a few times now and he's a real gent. He was promoting his new book I Am Grimalkin and another short story anthology called Haunted .

I love the challenge of writing short stories, summing up a character in as few words as possible, the beauty of brevity! Last Summer, I wrote four short stories that ended up on the Mortlock website, you can shuffle over there now and read them if you haven't already. Enjoy the new game there too!

I'm mulling over a number of things at the moment, the fourth book, work and life in general and other stuff but I think I'll be writing a few short stories over the next few weeks. What'll happen to them? Who knows but they're fun to write and that's what counts right?

4 comments:

bryonypearce said...

Another wonderful thing about this is that in a climate where book shops are closing everywhere you look, Tony has the spirit to open one! Brilliant.

Sean said...

Hello, I am the largest person in the above photo so felt I had to leave a comment.
I discovered the world of young adult horror a couple of years ago
when my partner bought a book for me that a slightly strange man was selling at the
local swimming baths.
I was told he was wearing a top hat and was accompanied by a stuffed crow?
The book was called Mortlock. There was another very enthusiastic guy with him called
Tony who ran the local bookshop. We'd only recently moved in to the area and hadn't yest encountered Tony or Pritchards bookshop.
I really enjoyed Mortlock and mentioned it to a friend at work who confessed he was
a big fan of this kind of thing and recommended a few titles to me. Among them
were the Joseph Delaney Spooks books and Derek Landy Skullduggery books.
I of course told him about Mortlock. I guess out of all the books I've read since then
Mortlock/Demon Collector and the Spooks books are my amongst favourites as well as the
Chris Priestly Tales of Terror series. I've always been partial to a bit of gothic horror.
I now annoy/delight my friends by buying them these books as birthday presents.

I sad to hear that Pritchards in Formby was closing but it's great to see Tony has opened his
own shop and I wish him all the best and hope it's a huge success.

P.S. I'm looking forward to the 'The BoneHill Curse'.

Jon M said...

Sean great to hear from you! You should have said a proper 'hello!' It's brilliant to hear that we got you into all this nonsense! And I do recall somebody buying Mortlock and saying that they knew someone who would love it!

Sean said...

Hi I promise to say hello next time, I'm sure I'll bump into you again. Im hoping to go to Scarefest 2 in October.