Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Kissed by a Sealion

So the Summer draws to a close and the mantra of  'Back to School' echoes beyond the high street department stores and into the aching hearts of children and teachers everywhere...

And what have I been up to this long Summer break? I always end the holiday convinced I've done nothing.

A trip to Ireland proved restorative and informative (see below for trip to Father Ted's house). I heard a really creepy ghost story which I intend to tell at up-coming festivals and events. I drank a few pints of Guinness and ate tones of seafood.



I've written somewhere in the region of 50,000 words, revised The Bonehill Curse and sentit back to the editor. I wait with trepidation! The 50,000 words all now need rethinking because half of them were for a project that I put the brakes on (20,000 words in) and the others were for The Many and Varied Deaths of Jeb Marney (my fourth book rather than Book 4). I suddenly had an even better idea for Jeb and so will be rewriting. Nothing will be wasted though, that's the joy of writing! And all with the help of a social networking 'holiday.' More about that another time!

I've been down to London to record a video for Booked Up. That was fun!

I've read tons of stuff, the highlights of which were: Haywired by Alex Keller (ace book), Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King and a glorious pile of Uncle books by JP Martin.


But truly the best day was our trip to Knowsley Safari Park courtesy of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. If you're not familiar with them, their basic mission is:

"to grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy."



How cool is that? They are an awesome charity and took us to the Park in a Limo. We had a personal tour, going off road and up-close to the animals, we fed elephants and giraffes and I was kissed by a sealion! 



Sometimes the medical needs of one member of a family and the dramas that surround it make 'normal' life impossible. Make A Wish made one day for our family extraordinary in the best possible way.

2 comments:

Alex Keller said...

Glad you liked Haywired Jon! And it looks like your holiday was great too!

Al.

Michele Helene (Verilion) said...

Good luck with going back to work Jon. 50,000 words is great even if they weren't all the right ones.