Monday, 3 May 2010

Random Observations


If you go here and scroll down, you'll notice I'm busy getting out to as many schools as I can. This is a tad frustrating because I only have one day per week to do this.

Mortlock has an advantage in that it spans the years that cover upper Juniors and lower high school. This means I can approach primaries and high schools for possible visits. I've enjoyed all the visits so far and they've all been different. And of course, I've sold lots of books along the way.

I haven't put them all in yet, but June is filling up nicely. I've also got some valuable library links too, so hopefully, the Summer holidays won't mean a lull in the Mortlock onslaught!

Of course, the downside to all this promotion is that it eats into my writing time but I reckon I did much of my writing whilst working full time so what's the difference? In fact, having made this realisation, I've written more recently and even started a new project...

Good experiences on school visits:

1) Children enthusing over books!
2) People laughing at my jokes (a funny, nervous kind of laugh...hmmm...)
3) Some really good questions (but somebody needs to persuade the children that all writers aren't incredibly rich)
4) Selling out of books (good and not good. Note to self keep own box in back of car well stocked)

5) Some very tasty (and free) dinners... I'm a basic sort of chap really.

So it's all good so far. And the lovely Bookwitch has posted her interview with me too. I talk a little bit about my work with children with autistic spectrum conditions. I may blog about that one day.

8 comments:

kathryn evans said...

Would love to read more about your 'other' work....

SarwatC said...

Sounds as though it's all going great guns. Well done!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

So... I'm not sure if you meant to do it, but you just listed 5 thing what are good.

:D

I missed that! Glad to see it.

Getting kids excited about books is so very fantastic!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Miriam Halahmy said...

Great news Jon and I'm also posting comments on the gory stories. Good luck with it all and see you soon!

Jon M said...

Thanks to everyone who is posting on the Gory Stories blog, it's ace!
Scarlett: Tee hee, I knew you'd like that! :o)

branwell said...

School dinners are tasty?

Bernita said...

Jon - to put it simply and plainly - you are a wonderful guy and the kids sense it as kids do.

Janice said...

Mr Jon I have just started reading your book. Supreme awesomeness. :D
I like the way you all these dark things unfold. I don't know why--maybe I read too much books(till my eyes pok out and roll on the ground)?