Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Journey's End?














A big box arrived today and in it were twelve copies of Mortlock looking all gruesome green, black-edged and menacing.


My mind is a right tangle.


It's taken three and a half years to get here. Not a huge amount of time by any stretch of the imagination. I don't like using the word 'journey' but a lot has happened leading up to this moment. I lost my mum and dad while writing Mortlock, tomorrow is the second anniversary of my father's funeral. We've had a family illness that has changed the way we live and run our lives.


Paradoxically, for the Mayhew family, Mortlock (a pretty dark story) has become a little beacon of light in what could otherwise be a very bleak world. So forgive us if we coo over it and carry it round for a while and show everyone we meet and smile inanely. We think its ace!


Thanks Sarah Davies. Thanks Bloomsbury! And no apologies for the gormless expression on my face in the picture below, this is a dream come true.




15 comments:

Michelle said...

Not Journey's end, maybe just the first chapter... but to be reflective I could quote CS Lewis and say that your life will be "...in which every chapter is better than the one before..."

Caroline said...

Oh I feel all emotional and utterly proud of you! Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke. Hope you, L and the kiddies run around the house squeeing with joy.

This is only the beginning, Mr Mayhew.

Enjoy! x

moonduster said...

Congratulations!

Nicky S (Absolute Vanilla) said...

Agreed, this is just the beginning!
Hugely proud of you and wishing you all sorts of huge success and happy squealing and joyous shrieks of laughter. You may, officially, caper and look excited thus creating oodles of Mayhew Mayhem!
Enjoy every moment! x

DOT said...

Gormless? Thought it was one of the better pics of you.

Anyway, you have much to mourn but much too to celebrate.

Vesper said...

Yes, Jon, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!
Congratulations! You have everything to be proud of. And this is just the beginning...

JJ Beattie said...

I think it's wonderful that you're all so pleased. It IS marvellous. I can't wait to get hold of a copy.

SueG said...

I am just so incredibly thrilled for you! I hope you're really enjoying this moment and celebrating like crazy!!!!!!

Megan said...

ENORMOUS Congratulations Jon! May you revel in every second x

Matthias said...

Congratulations, that is great news (found out about this via Caroline Smailes' tweet). I am still pretty early in my journey: this kind of story is a great inspiration.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

*bouncebouncebounce!*

YAAAAY! Jon, I know I've already said it, but I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!!

Huge hugs and a hearty handshake.

Well done!

Now then, Vanilla and I need to get a couple of those from you.

;D

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Dulcinea Norton-Smith said...

So so so so so excited for you and it is very well deserved. I can't wait for it to hit the shops.

L-Plate Author said...

Well done Jon, am proud and so chuffed for you x

kathryn evans said...

Want to hug you ((((HUG))))) there, consider yourself hugged and here's a back pat for good measure. I hope you all savour every delicious second of it xxx

DJ Kirkby said...

WOWSERS! Congratulations!