Friday, 29 January 2010

The Final Proof?

I've been busy today.


These should be the final proofs of Mortlock. Those of you who have glimpsed it, know that each chapter of Mortlock starts with an extract from a traditional ballad. There was some confusion over certain verses as to whether permissions would have to be sought. You would think that songs sung by eighty year olds in 1903 would be out of any kind of copyright and well in the public domain. Well, think again.

 So I went back to the drawing board, Cecil Sharp House and some very old ballad collections and actually, I found some brilliant new verses that fitted the themes of each chapter brilliantly. I've been checking them on this set of proofs today.

Uncorrected proofs went out to a whole variety of folks this week, some in spooky black packaging. Things are on the move, plans being drawn up and yet there are still two months before actual publication day! Waiting. What authors do... badly I would imagine if they're anything like me!

Good interviews here and here!

My first review here!

I'm slipping into a whole new world...

12 comments:

karen ball said...

The proof stage is so exciting. You get a glimpse of what your words will actually look like in a real book. Thanks for the link!

Megan said...

Wooo-hoooo Mr Mayheeew!!
(and your trailer is very scary, in an I-can't-wait kind of way)

Jon M said...

Karen: Thanks for the ace interview! :o)

Megan: Thanks, hope you'll be showcasing Morty on all the right bookshelves in your neck of the woods! ;o)

JJ Beattie said...

I enjoyed the links - thank you. It must be very exciting for you - and the family.

Jon M said...

JJ: It's very exciting, perhaps too exciting!

Tam said...

Patience isn't a virtue I've got to grips with yet and I don't think i ever will. Congrats on your proofs. Not long now!

Rick said...

Very cool to see you're at this stage of your work and look forward to seeing the finished product.

Jon M said...

Thanks, Rick and welcome aboard! :o)

Nicky S (Absolute Vanilla) said...

Whoo! Things are moving, life is changing! All very exciting, hope you have your seat belt on! So looking forward to, finally, getting to read Mortlock!

SueG said...

this is getting ridiculously exciting! Off to read the review and interviews now...

Vesper said...

A great review, Jon. I'm very proud of you! :-)
I'm very much looking forward to reading Mortlock!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

CAN'T WAIT CAN'T WAIT CANNOT WAIT AT ALL!!!!

So close!

Don't you forget, Nicky and I are on the waiting list to get some mailed as soon as you are able to!

*glee!!!*

So very proud of you Jon.


Scarlett & Viaggiatore