Sunday, 24 January 2010

Cowardy Custard!



I confess. For a "man with a dark imagination," I'm a total coward. The picture above amply illustrates my default position for watching anything that may be slightly scary. I think I've discussed this before but I'm the kind of chap who totally buys into anything I'm watching. Maybe it's because I have got a 'dark imagination.'

So to be honest, I tend to avoid anything that I think might frighten me!

Imagine my joy, then, when after a few beers and a curry, my old friend, who has popped up for a brief visit, brings out a DVD saying, "I've got this vampire film, it's an 18 but you'll be okay..."

It was called "30 Days of Night." It came out in 2007 so I suppose most vampire fans will have seen it but it was new to me and I thought it was a great premise. The small town of Barrow, deep in the Artctic Circle experiences 30 days of night every winter. What a great place for a band of vampires to go on holiday! "Why didn't we think of this before?" says one vampire in its strange, gutteral language. Gory and nerve-wracking for me to watch, it did make me ponder.

I like my vampires ugly and brutal. I'm no great fan of air-brushed, 'pretty-boy' bloodsuckers. So The "30 Days of Night" vampires were right up my street:



However, on reflection I also quite like a little complexity. In my next book The Demon Collector, I wanted the demons to be more than just ugly monsters. Demons must be so much more than that. I wanted them to be quite complex, weak even, more afflicted by neuroses than their human victims. And I wondered if the vampires in this film could have been just a little more than predatory killing machines. I expect that in the comic books that inspired the film, they are. Maybe I'll have to go back to the source and read them. Although my friend told me they gave him nightmares...

How do you like yours?

9 comments:

karen ball said...

'It's an 18 so you'll be okay.' Classic!

Jon M said...

I am such a wuss! And my mates know it!

Sue Hyams said...

Awful horrid scary picture! I avoid 18 films at all costs. I'm more wussy than you I think. Alex O'Loughlin (Moonlight) is the only sort of vampire I can handle. Vampire detective. Nice and cosy although even a couple of episodes of that were a bit much for me! I love the idea of your demons though. Yes, they should have depth!

SarwatC said...

Thirty Days and Nights, I like! There's also Frostbite and Let the Right One In. Insanely great vampire movies, all snow-bound.
I do prefer my vampires undeconstructed. Who needs emotional sensitivity when you've got teeth like that?

Branwell said...

As one of the culprits of aforesaid scenario I have to admit to needing a stiff whisky to watch 30 Days. Strangely enough, my nightmare that night was about a werewolf - that's what happens when you stay at Mayhew Towers...

Jon M said...

Sue: Be proud of your wussiness, Sue! ;o)

Sarwat: I agree but sometimes they need to be more than human velociraptors?

Branwell: Even a glass of Jamiesons didn't steady the nerves!

Michelle (Mickmouse) said...

I still get scared at Dr Who!!! Great book for presentation of demons with an agenda is 'This Present Darkness.' It is actually a Christian fiction book but gives an interesting take on the spiritual forces battling behind the scenes. Michelle = super wuss

prophecygirl said...

I love 30 Days of Night. Anything with vampires and you can count me in!

Empress Awesome said...

Wow, I'm sort of the same way. I have a weird imagination (a friend who read some of my writing said they thought I had been doing hardcore drugs when I wrote it. Wasn't that nice of him?), but I can't bare horror movies. My imagination makes everything way too vivid, and then I have to sleep with happy-go-lucky music in my ear to make sure that killer demons don't bother me...