Are there any retail outlets in your locality willing to display the book?
Well. It's only good manners to ask. This is what I have discovered from this experience:
- Bookstore managers will give you the time of day.
- They only have one head and do not devour debut children's authors for breakfast, dinner or tea.
- The word 'Bloomsbury' has a magical effect on them, making them sit up and smile excitedly.
- It is very strange telling a bookstore manager the name of your book, them typing it into their computer and saying, "You'll be Jon Mayhew, then..."
- I underestimate my ability to present myself as a rational and intelligent human being with not a trace of weirdness.