Monday, 7 December 2009

How Cool Is This?

video

Being a veteran of one school visit and not having a book to sell, my mind turned to the prospect of turning up at schools when I do have a book to sell but some of the darlings mightn't have the readies for a book.

A book plate to stick in the front of a book was one idea. But I also liked the idea of a stamp.

Who hasn't wanted to work in a post office and slam down one of those important, chunky-looking stampers?

Admit it. The first time they passed your library books through a barcode reader and it gave off a pathetic beep, you felt the slight sag of disappointment. What happened to the 'Kerchunk!' of the librarian's date stamp?

The truth is, we all love a stamp. So I indulged myself. All my children now carry the Mortlock brand...

13 comments:

L-Plate Author said...

Jon, I used to work on said post office counter and I can tell you once you've stamped yourself a few times, it's not much fun!

However, I do like the stamp! But branding your children, shock horror...

Sandra Gulland said...

I love this idea!

Sandra



*****
Website: http://www.sandragulland.com/
Blog: http://sandragulland.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/3xzbgv
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Sandra_Gulland

Candy Gourlay said...

you STAMPED your children?

great idea ... did you see philip ardagh's stamp? and is that the book? so exciting!

kathryn evans said...

genius idea - stamp the kids and tell them to go home and nag their parents into buying the book....they still date stamp library books - it isn't quite the same but you still get the soft swish of the books sliding open, the flump of the stamp and the whump of the closing book....magic. You stamp is VERY COOL btw x

Megan said...

Love it!

(and I am one of the lucky few who gets to wield a stamp daily, plus use a beepy thing too)

Sue Hyams said...

It's remarkably splendid!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Great idea Mr M. and excellent to see you last night. Have a great Christmas!

katcampbell said...

That is totally cool! Merry Christmas Jon!

Absolute Vanilla (and Atyllah) said...

Ooh, a stamp! Love that!

Anonymous said...

Top idea Jon. I tell you, you should be working closely with that Bloomsbury marketing department. You could show them a few good tricks.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

YAAAAAAY For the stamp!!!

I was terribly disappointed with the librarian beep.

...but, I still want my copy signed. If you could, please. :D


Is it ready to buy now? CanICanICanIhuh?


So proud of you!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Jon... where is Cardamom?

Why is he gone off of your page? I know the SLWC isn't really together anymore... but, we can't let our Lions go, really, since we adopted them, can we?

S & V

Jan said...

WHAT a great idea!
Have a Great Year and hope LitFest contacts you at some point...