Wednesday, 18 November 2009

My First Author Visit!

Last Friday found me visiting Birkenhead High School Academy, a high school for girls in Birkenhead. My first author visit!

I'd been approached by their librarian Marilyn Hogan who had organised a literary festival within the school. A whole week of events under the banner of "Reading Between The Lines."

The pupils were very welcoming and polite. They asked lots of questions and took to my workshop enthusiastically.

I decided to look at the ballads that punctuate every chapter. Mortlock was partly inspired by The Twa Corbies, so I got the pupils to look at two variants of the ballad. I showed them the trailer and read an extract of the book.

At one point the projector was misbehaving, leaving me defenceless in front of 25 year eight pupils. While the technician wrestled with the machinery, I zipped round them asking names and favourite books. Fortunately, I didn't have to resort to a game of any description to keep them occupied but I guess I could have done.

The aim of the workshop was to create some kind of performance based on different (but all very gory) ballads that I had distributed. We had tableaux, readings of key lines, mimes of the events of the ballads. It was great fun. I only wish I'd had a few books to sell!

I really enjoyed my visit to Birkenhead High. It reminded me of all the reasons I went into teaching twenty years ago. I think I'll go back again. If they'll have me!

But now I'm looking forward to the weekend and the SCBWI conference at Winchester. Can't wait!

8 comments:

Caroline said...

So glad it went well! x

DOT said...

Sounds terrifying to me. And it is the first law of all technology that it will abandon the moment you need it most.

(Roedean is just down the road. Wonder if they'll invite me for my first author chat - assuming I am ever published.)

SueG said...

Terrific, and really exciting. There's nothing like going into a room as "the" writer. Now, if only that book would come out already!!

KatW said...

I'm really excited for you. You're living the writer's dream - hoorah!

Glad the author visit went well. Sounds like you handled the disruptive tech problems brilliantly.

I hope you get to come to the North Cornwall literary festival Michelle (Mickmouse) is organising.

Can't wait to read Mortlock. Sounds like a great story & the cover looks wonderful.

Kat :-)

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

So are you ready to do it all again?
Looking forward to seeing you at the weekend. x

Megan said...

Congratulations Jon - sounds like lots of fun

DJ Kirkby said...

I'm glad to read tha tyour workshop went well despite the equipment trying to sabotage you! I'd liek to speak to pupils about creative writing but am not sure how to get started. I have a fabulous book to give away on my Chez Aspie blog from Sunday so please stop by and join in the fun if you get a chance before Tuesday eve.

Cindy said...

Just found ur site! new follower!