Tuesday, 18 August 2009

It's Only Good Manners to Ask

So, having been snuck up on by my own presence on the Bloomsbury site, I decided to put myself about a bit. Go and see some local book store managers. I did this too because I needed to complete an author questionnaire for my publishers and one of the questions went as follows:

Are there any retail outlets in your locality willing to display the book?

Well. It's only good manners to ask. This is what I have discovered from this experience:
  1. Bookstore managers will give you the time of day.
  2. They only have one head and do not devour debut children's authors for breakfast, dinner or tea.
  3. The word 'Bloomsbury' has a magical effect on them, making them sit up and smile excitedly.
  4. It is very strange telling a bookstore manager the name of your book, them typing it into their computer and saying, "You'll be Jon Mayhew, then..."
  5. I underestimate my ability to present myself as a rational and intelligent human being with not a trace of weirdness.
This all very encouraging.

8 comments:

JJ Beattie said...

That's so exciting but it must be hard to maintain that veneer of 'rational and intelligent human being with not a trace of weirdness'?

Your journey is so very exciting. Thank you for letting us join in.

Tracy said...

Cool and how exciting!!
Don't forget our deal ;)

DOT said...

Point 5 is worrying in your confidence of being a presenter of non-weirdness.

Reports of booksellers with puncture marks are filtering in down here in Brighton.

SarwatC said...

Are you able to leap tall book piles in a single bound?
Excellent stuff!

Jon M said...

JJ: I try my utmost not to be weird, that way people buy me drinks ;-)

Tracy: It's in the memory banks.

DOT: I'm fine... honest!

Sarwat: You know I look up to you, Sarwat which is why you also know that a man of my height will never be able to leap tall anythings! :)

Michelle (Mickmouse) said...

How exciting is that! I am sure weirdness is not the word on the lips of booksellers near you. Really feels like momentum is building for you Jon!
Michelle
x

DJ Kirkby said...

What a great post! I am very happy for you :)

Tam said...

Oooh, you're brave! Well done! I had to take my MS into my local bookstore for the owner to read. I haven't dared go back since, even though I know he loved it.

I might be inspired by your example and ask some more bookshops. Maybe.