Thursday, 16 April 2009

Ceriog Blog 2

It being the Easter break over here in the UK, we decided to venture down to lovely Welsh Wales were other brother resides deep in the Ceriog Valley. Other Brother and his wife are blessed with a beautiful, rustic cottage set in acres of woodland which clings to the steep valley sides. Amazing. I've described before how he rides horses, tames the woodland, climbs trees and generally has a ripping time out here.
I stood watching as other brother set up a zip wire for the kids to zoom down the hill and through the trees. It didn't go quite according to plan but nobody got killed and we had fun. The woods this time of year are lush green and heavy with the scent of wild garlic.
This is said brother retrieving the rope for the seventeenth time.

We're often advised to write what we know, characters we know but to disguise them so as to avoid offence. I'm certain that all I know of Ceriog and other brother's escapades will slip into a story one day. It has to but I don't think he'll mind. he'll probably be some kind of heroic woodcutter!

8 comments:

Tam said...

It looks gorgeous there and made me long to fill my nose with the smell of wild garlic. Briefly, at any rate. Then common sense took over and I remembered it gets a bit overpowering after a while.

I like the sound of the zipwire :-) I like the sound of your brother's life, too. Why didn't my careers officer mention that job to me?

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

What a very lucky brother he is, then, to have you who loves him so much and would write about him like that.

Very lovely place.
Aren't ziplines fun!


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Nothingman said...

that's a lot of green!! it must be fun living in such a place! :)

Absolute Vanilla (and Atyllah) said...

members of the public beware - you may well end up in a story!

What a stunning place to spend time - lucky thing you are!

Jan said...

I recently sent a story to my brother.
Much of it was pulled out from our childhood.
Sometime I'm going to pin him down for a whole w/end and talk and talk and talk...
because SO much of our writing can stem ( and grow) from our family memories.
We lived in a road full of real "characters"... some pretty zany..
I'd love to find out more about them through HIS memories.

gary davison said...

Looks fantastic jon. I'd be visiting every week if he was my brother. No spare cottage in the woods you could have?

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jon M said...

Tam: That is true of wild garlic!

Scarlet: Cor steady on! :) ziplines are great.

Nman: Green is a calming colour methinks.

Vanilla: always looking for new characters!

Jan: This thought came to mind last year with the passing away of my parents and how many memories are lost!

Gary: I like where I am, too. Visiting is great!

Sexy: well now what is the point of all that????